Home Photos Photos Japanese Contact

Volitional forms

The volitional kinda expresses funnily enough the speakers volitional or desire to perform a given command, or as expressed in Japanese (Let's do!):

はい!頑張りましょうね!^o^

This form is useful for certain constructions in Japanese.

ようとする

ようとする basically has two meanings.

The first meaning is to express the attempted action of something (and more often not, an unsuccessful attempt at that action.)

夕べ好きな番組を見るようにしたが、テレビが壊れていた。
Last evening I tried to watch my favourite programme, but the TV was broken.

The second meaning is to express the idea of something about to happen. It can be used as a conditional or a resultant clause with と and たら・ば

ドアを開けるようとすると、妻が部屋に入って来た。
As I was about to open the door, my wife entered the room.

ようと思う

ようと思う expresses the idea as you would have guessed of thinking of performing a certain action.

今夏日本へ行こうようと思う・思っている
This summer I think/ I'm thinking of going to Japan.

Note the difference between the standard dictionary form of と思う and the present continuous と思っている. The nuance is slight and the latter perhaps suggests a continuing thought of performing the desired action. Its too hard for me to explain.

ように言う・頼む・進める

This is kinda similar as above and the verb should give you a clue. It basically means to ask someone to do something or suggest/request, depending on the verb. It can also be lovingly used with the passive form to create some great little phrases.

ウエートレスにシェフの名物を注文するようにすすめられた。
I was recommended to order the chef's special by the waitress.
医者に毎日果物や野菜を食べように言われた。
I was told to eat fruit and vegetables everyday by my doctor.
午前四時だので、友達に寝ように言った。
Because it was four in the morning, I told my friend to go to bed.

0 comments: